The Changing Nature of Cleaning

Chemical based disinfectants have long been the gold standard when it comes to cleaning, odour removal and waste management. Over time we have learned of the major drawbacks associated with these types of products and we are now entering a new age of cleaning. Recent developments in microbiology and in the way we understand micro ecosystems have meant that probiotic cleaners are quickly becoming a far better solution both in terms of efficacy and environmental impact.

Bacteria...Are they all bad?

Not all bacteria are disease causing. In fact, less than 1% of all bacteria can make us sick. The remaining 99% exist happily in the ecosystem either providing essential nutrients to their environment of living symbiotically in small communities nourishing each other.

Probiotic bacteria are microorganisms which are considered beneficial for our health. They can be found in many food products such as yogurt and can aid in maintaining a clean and healthy digestive system. They do this by taking up residence in our digestive tracts and competing for space and resources with bad bacteria. This limits the area and nutrients available for bad bacteria to live and multiply. 

Just as probiotic bacteria can help clean our digestive system, they are also proficient in cleaning and deodorising our homes. Bacteria have been nature’s clean team for billions of years so it seems only logical to use them to keep our daily environments healthy and safe. 

What separates ProPower from the rest?

What separates ProPower from other probiotic cleaning agents, is it is based on Quorum Sensing Technology (QST). Quorum sensing at its most basic level can be described as a regulatory process over gene expression in response to cell-population density. To put it simply, bacteria can’t visualise their surroundings like we do, so in order to detect how many neighbouring cells they have, each cell releases signal molecules. Based on the concentration of these signal molecules in the micro-environment outside of cells, the bacteria can detect how many neighbours each has and if these neighbours are of the same species. Once a specific concentration of signal molecules has been achieved (known as a quorum) the bacteria start manufacturing different enzymes and proteins which can have a significant impact on their environment and their neighbouring cells.

Household Antimicrobial Solution

The proprietary formulation of probiotics in ProPower is specifically designed to act as a functional symbiotic community of bacteria meaning they work together to quickly achieve a quorum when placed into an environment. Once the bacteria in ProPower achieve a quorum, they release molecules such as fatty acids and bacteriocins which act as toxins and growth inhibitors against common pathogenic bacteria such as Salmonella typhimurium, Clostridium perfringens, Staphylococcus aureus and pathogenic strains of Escherichia coli. This provides a long term solution for controlling pathogenic bacteria on surfaces around the home.